Curated HEX packages

I am replying in this thread instead of the other.

To be honest I think it’s a bit rude to think that some packages should not exist. Who are we in the core team or you to say that some of these packages are not worthy to exist on hex.pm?

I’m also not a fan of the thought that the core team is not doing enough for the community because we do not examine and vett almost 4000 packages. Doing this is a herculean effort and not something the core team has time for. I can only speak for myself, but I would rather focus on fixing bugs and building features in Elixir and Hex itself.

If you really want this why don’t you build it yourself and start examining packages instead of telling others they should it. Or even simpler, examine the few “faker” packages and write a blog post about which one you think it’s best.

I agree that it would probably be, maybe better to have a single “faker” package than a few doing the same thing. But like @radar said this also how innovation happen, if we only allow a single package there is a risk for stagnation. You also mention Phoenix so it’s important to note that it wasn’t the first web framework so if we only allowed or promoted a single one it maybe would not exist today.

7 Likes