Elixir Blog Posts

Ehnnnnn, I have questions and statements regarding this!

I’m sure you have thought all of this through but I want to write it out anyway:

First off, this a lot of text for people simply looking to share a blog post. This isn’t necessary a bad thing, except that within the first sentence I personally find it a bit confusing, specifically:

or, if you want a dedicated thread for each blog/podcast, via Devtalk.com

Does this mean that if I want a dedicated thread I have to post to devtalk.com? This is how I interpret this but would it be ok to just create a dedicated post here on its own? First off, I may just be old, but I don’t even know what devtalk.com is. A quick look at it homepages gives me “meh” vibes and while an endorsement from this forum holds significant weight, in the end it’s just another site I need to create and account for.

Speaking of which:

Ensure your account on Devtalk.com has the same username and primary email as your account here

What if your Elixir Forum username is unavailable on devtalk? Now you have to make an alternate account here which–beyond the reputation/visibility-based consequences–is just annoying. So many accounts!

I’m sure you have thought through allll of this, but it would be so much easier if the barrier to entry was “Make a dedicated thread and make sure you post it in the ‘Blog Posts’ section OR ELSE”

(I’m kidding about the OR ELSE part)

This forum could still get good exposure if writers are encouraged to add “Discuss on forum.elixirforum.com” to their posts with a link to the dedicated thread where there is a high chance there will be comments and if not, at least some up votes.

On the flipside perhaps this has been tried and it created a moderator’s nightmare. If that’s the case then I have no argument here :slight_smile: Perhaps there is a public place this has all been hashed out before?

Respect for all that you do, mods :heart:

1 Like