"Elixir for Good" community?

Hi @dlobo, I did that for a few reasons, the primary one being my high degree of ignorance and naivete! I’ve got plenty of skills to bring to this endeavour, but deep technical chops are not among them. I’m very new to this whole scene, and am sufficiently “fresh off the boat” to be unaware of the Elixir server (for a moment I thought you meant the Elixir language server), or that I had the ability to create anything there. I welcome any and all help in getting this thing off the ground and pointing in a useful direction! (@PJUllrich has raised his hand, and there are openinigs for others to do the same…)

My other consideration here points to @pragdave’s observation that “Developers for Good” has a lot more scope and potential than “ for Good”, which I’ve come to agree with. If the Elixir server would be a good home for a discussion with devs of all stripes / languages, then I’m happy to see it hosted / re-homed there.

Some sort of steering group will likely be a helpful thing indeed…

@hubertlepicki I’m envisioning this thing as a not-for-profit org (and not necessarily a non-profit org - there’s a key difference there). I don’t see why it can’t be a working group hosted under some existing structure, maybe like the Erlang Ecosystem Foundation. If we can avoid creating a new silo / new organisational overheads, then we should seriously consider that.

@marcin, hi! I’m glad to hear of your project - thanks for announcing it. I’m aiming to create a channel in this discussion specifically for folks to introduce their projects, such as you’ve done here. Some people seem to have successfully joined the Discord without needing me to approve them - I’m not sure why that seems not to have worked for you. I’ll have a look…

By the way, I’ve just started to read a book which seems aligned with fireproofsocks’ earlier book recommendation, called “Getting it Done: how to lead when you’re not in charge”, which happens to be co-written by one of my personal heroes. This will likely be a very helpful handbook for organising a community-driven effort like this one, for anyone who is interested!

Cheers,
Ken.