Mob - Native BEAM / Elixir on Native Mobile

I briefly considered Flutter.

I built a proof of concept using NativeScript with a remote server which does much of what LVN does.

You could do LiveView > LiveViewSvelte > Svelte > SvelteNative > NativeScript already if you were willing to build that chain. The proof of concept I built just cuts out everything having to do with Svelte. Then I realized you could just cut more out and do it direct. NativeScript utilizes the same direct access to the platform code.

So by putting the BEAM on the device and accessing the app via a NIF you cut out all the middlemen. You get the native behaviour and performance and you also get the BEAM which is kind of the whole point and writing in Elixir is the icing on the cake.

I worked for years in React Native and there are a lot of problems. One of them is you’re always one step removed. Whenever Android or iOS make big changes they facilitate them ahead of time in their IDEs but they don’t actually tell people necessarily. So the platforms like React Native will always be a half step behind because they have to react the day the new feature comes out. I want something where we can always have the option of just writing native code. When LVN was first announced I was very enthusiastic about the approach because you get a native app which is the industry gold standard.

4 Likes