The first.[quote=“houshuang, post:7, topic:9736”]
If it’s the first one, I think a bigger concern is the
number of websockets that can be connected to a ShareDB instance at a time,
not so much what they are doing (we haven’t really found this to be a
bottleneck at least).
[/quote]
That’s better. I believe I’ve seen some benchmarks that show that Cowboy and Phoenix are probably better than Node at holding many connections.
To me it’s not a question of being “necessary”, it’s just that they’re much easier to understand usually xD Performance characteristics in a client-server architecture probably lag behind OT in all metrics (the memory and network overhead of all CRDTs I’ve seen for text is quite high).
My main problem with CRDTs is that it’s hard to implement an “intermediate” level of structure. Low structure, like a freeform graph? Nice, CRDTs got you covered. Text editing (editing a chain of characters), again, easy. Editing trees (and enforcing the fact that it remains a tree)? Acyclic DAGs? You’re out of luck…


















