Role based access for ExAWS

Thanks for chiming in, I have made some progress and got it working to an extent. Reasons for confusion:

  • how STS.assume_role works, I believe a name like fetch_role_credentials would be more apt, since as far as I can tell it is fully up to developers to use/cache/refresh/propagate these temporary credentials. assume_role suggests some stateful (shudder) change that applies to subsequent requests. I stumbled on this and found it very helpful, maybe link to it from the README?
  • differences between the release and master for ex_aws_sts, there is a awscli_auth_adapter: ExAws.STS.AuthCache.AssumeRoleCredentialsProvider in master and READMIE that is not in the 2.0 release.
  • incompatibility with tools like stavro/arc, which rely solely on the fixed, hard coded credentials from aws_ex config, so I don’t think IAM roles can be used with those tools (I have created an issue for arc)
  • diabolically opaque error messages from Amazon

Again, thanks for your input, any further help is equally appreciated.