Using sockets instead of LiveView

Hi all,

I’m in the early phases of developing a website and I’m hoping to go with Phoenix without any frontend frameworks. I’d like to use some of the LiveView features, however, I’m a little cautious about going all-in on LiveView. Ideally, I’d like to use regular controllers throughout my site, but I would want to embed live components in a number of places. However, I’m also considering using plain web sockets instead.

There are 2 reasons why I’d prefer to avoid using LiveView everywhere:

  1. I just don’t need it in most places
  2. I understand that it may require a slightly different approach in a few places – if so, then there’s just less documentation (other than the official docs) and I’ve heard some people have had problems with it (do not have any concrete examples)

As for integrating LiveView with regular components, I don’t think I fully understand how it would work. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I don’t think I’d be able to embed a live component into a static parent view, right? The entire page would need to be live. If I’m using live and static views side by side, would I run into problems with routing or anything else?

Finally, given my objectives, do you think it makes sense to go with:

  1. Full LiveView app
  2. Mix of regular controllers and LiveView (if this is what you’d recommend, then I’d appreciate suggestions on how to set this up – do I create a LiveView app inside of which I’d set up regular controllers or do I create a regular app where I’d create live stuff?)
  3. Ditch LiveView altogether and just use sockets

If option 3 is not recommended, then I have another follow up question: now that we have LiveView, are there scenarios where you’d still use plain web sockets?

Many thanks!