Great, thanks for sharing! I’ve been using VSCode a lot lately instead of vim and really appreciate a lot of the good work done by both Microsoft and the community in making it a great experience.
I’ve currently got a Windows/Linux dual-boot desktop for some C# work I’ve been doing and have found myself staying on the Windows side far more than I expected thanks to WSL2 and VSCode Remote.
That’s your prerogative. I’m not going to try and convince you otherwise but know that many people, if not the majority don’t share your opinion.
I started experimenting with different operating systems, languages and tooling a couple of years ago. It’s broadened my experience and whilst I’m currently a “jack of all trades” it does give me a wonderful position to compare options.
Note that my suggestion above uses Linux for the “proper” work - something I’m guessing would appeal to you. The iPad is just a means of working with Linux in a pleasant way from wherever I happen to be.
But seeing as you mentioned building for the Apple ecosystem, I’ve been doing iOS development using XCode and SwiftUI a lot lately (as I said, I’ve been trying a lot of new things) and it’s been a breath of fresh air. It’s totally different to web/open source development in wonderful ways. It’s cohesive, there’s little cruft in the language and framework. It’s opinionated and thus straightforward to work with. There’s almost no time setting up a development environment “just-so”. It’s more fun than I’ve had in years in any other language on any other platform, and thanks to the huge (and popular) ecosystem it’s part of, it can also be very profitable to work with.
In short, try new things rather than making sweeping statements that attempt to insult a large proportion of the group you’re speaking to and add little to the discussion. Exploration, curiosity and an openness to new ideas are important skills for a developer. Rather than proclaim that anyone not like yourself is wrong, try something new. You might be surprised at what you find.


















